PRE-CALL ANNOUNCEMENT FOR JPND 2023 CALL: LARGE SCALE ANALYSIS OF OMICS DATA FOR DRUG-TARGET FINDING IN NEURODEGENERATIVE DISEASES
The EU Joint Programme – Neurodegenerative Disease Research (JPND) will shortly launch a new multinational call for proposals for “Large scale analysis of OMICS data for drug-target finding in neurodegenerative diseases”.
Despite several remarkable achievements and advances in technology made during the past years, the pathophysiology of neurodegenerative diseases still remains elusive and not fully understood. It is becoming more evident from recent studies that diseases are complex and multifactorial which is a hurdle to discover novel therapies. Access to large existing data sets and biomaterials from animal and cellular models and patient cohorts opens the opportunity to explore changes at epigenetic, transcriptomic, proteomic, metabolomic, and lipidomic levels in a more comprehensive way. The data obtained from multi-omics studies analysed with the methodology of systems biology can further elucidate the connection between the contributing factors and disease pathophysiology. Additionally, the identified cellular changes from the multi-omics studies may be translated to animal and cellular models and to the human situation to study disease mechanisms. This will permit novel strategies for validation of clinical therapeutic approaches.
For this reason, JPND launches this joint transnational call with the aim of improving the understanding of the complex and multifactorial pathogenesis of neurodegenerative diseases through multi-OMICS and Big Data approaches designed to find new drug targets and target biomarkers for the development of tailored and personalised treatment approaches. Proposals to this call must be ambitious, innovative, multi-disciplinary and multi-national, i.e. include research teams from at least three different countries. They must be hypothesis driven and should have a strong focus on methodology.
The following funding organisations intend to support this joint transnational call:
- Austria, Austrian Research Promotion Agency on behalf of BMBWF (FFG)*
- Belgium, The Fund for Scientific Research (F.R.S.-FNRS)*
- Canada, Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)*
- Czech Republic, Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports (MEYS)
- France, French National Research Agency (ANR)*
- Germany, Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF)*
- Hungary, National Research, Development and Innovation Office (NKFIH)*
- Ireland, Health Research Board (HRB)*
- Israel, Ministry of Health (CSO-MOH)
- Italy, Ministry of Health (IT-MOH)
- Luxembourg, National Research Fund (FNR)*
- Netherlands, The Netherlands Organisation for Health Research and Dev. (ZonMw)*
- Poland, National Science Centre (NCN)*
- Slovakia, Ministry of Education, Science, Research and Sport of the Slovak Republic (MESR)*
- Spain, Institute of Health Carlos III (ISCIII)*
- Sweden, Swedish Research Council (SRC)*
- Switzerland, Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF)*
- Turkey, Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK)
* Decision pending
Please note that the list of countries participating to this call is provisional and may change until the launch of the call.
This will be a two-step call, expected to be launched in early January 2023, with a likely pre-proposal submission deadline in early March 2023. Further details will be provided with the launch of the call.
All information regarding future JPND call topics is subject to change
Final call information will be published on the JPND website (www.jpnd.eu)