The EU Joint Programme – Neurodegenerative Disease Research (JPND) will shortly launch a new multinational call for proposals for “Linking pre-diagnosis disturbances of physiological systems to Neurodegenerative Diseases”.
The development of efficient treatments for most neurodegenerative disease is hindered by the fact that their detection intervenes at late stages in which the integrity of the nervous tissue is very compromised. Purely characterised early physiological disturbances are known to appear before unambiguous symptoms of each neurodegenerative disease are detected. These changes may include, among others, disruption of sleep, olfaction, hearing, vision, metabolic factors as well as social engagement. All these signs have the potential to be used as early indicators of later diseases, and in most cases have the advantage that they are measurable in natural everyday life environments. Since some of these changes are very likely early indicators of nervous system dysfunction, the identification of the circuits and molecular pathways being affected might reveal promising targets for early interventions and therapies for neurodegenerative diseases.
For this reason, JPND launches this joint transnational call with a view to promoting research aiming at the detection, measurement and understanding of early disease indicators related to neurodegenerative diseases, with potential for the development of new diagnostics or interventions. Proposals to this call must be ambitious, innovative, multi-disciplinary and multi-national, i.e. include research teams from at least three different countries.
The following funding organisations intend to support this joint transnational call:
- Australia, National Health and Medical Research Council *
- Belgium, The Fund for Scientific Research *
- Canada, Canadian Institutes of Health Research *
- Czech Republic, Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports *
- Finland, Academy of Finland *
- France, French National Research Agency *
- Germany, Federal Ministry of Education and Research
- Hungary, National Research, Development and Innovation Office *
- Israel, Ministry of Health *
- Italy, Ministry of Health *
- Luxembourg, National Research Fund *
- Netherlands, The Netherlands Organisation for Health Research and Dev. *
- Norway, The Research Council of Norway *
- Poland, National Science Centre *
- Portugal (Azores), The Regional Fund for Science and Technology *
- Slovakia, Ministry of Education, Science, Research and Sport of the Slovak Republic*
- Spain, National Institute of Health Carlos III *
- Sweden, Swedish Research Council *
- Switzerland, Swiss National Science Foundation *
- Turkey, Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey *
* Final decision pending
This will be a two-step call, expected to be launched in early January 2021, with a likely pre-proposal submission deadline in early March 2021. Further details will be provided with the launch of the call.
All information regarding future JPND call topics is subject to change
Final call information will be published on the JPND website (www.jpnd.eu)